Book Fairs in a Pandemic: UPDATE

We are officially over halfway through our Virtual Book Fair, and despite the different strategies I explained previously, we are still selling a LOT less than we would in person- even below our shrunken down goal. Although we are over halfway through the fair, we haven’t even met half our goal. I’m feeling a lot of things about it, but mostly I’m feeling okay.

I went into this knowing there wouldn’t be as big of a reward, but my goal was to get some books into some hands and I’ve managed to do that. Other than my time, it hasn’t cost anything to do, and I’ve even been able to give away some books miraculously. I’ve also got to share some pretty cool books with my kids that hopefully they’ll be able to check out soon.

So, halfway through, would I recommend hosting a virtual book fair? It depends, but I’m leaning towards yes. Even though I’m let down that we’e not doing as well as I’d hoped, sharing books with kids has brought back some of that librarian joy I’ve been missing this year and it’s added a few bucks to the Scholastic Dollars budget. If you have some spare time to work on some of the strategies highlighted in the last post and involved families, you would see the most reward.

Well, now onto last minute Read Across America Week activities as book fair has consumed me. What are you doing for Read Across America Week?